Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) Preparatory Course
Dates and place: the course is delivered wholly in a distance-learning mode and can be started at any time in a given academic year.
Number of places available: 25
Length of the course: 15 weeks, if all three units are taken (5 weeks per unit)
Languages: from English into Arabic, French, Italian, Polish, Russian and Spanish
from French, Italian and Spanish into English
Please note: this is a preparatory course for the CIoL examination. London Metropolitan University is not an Examination Centre. Students will have to register for the exam directly with the Chartered Institute of Linguists.
Prices: £350 per unit, £550 for 2 units, £750 for 3 units
- to familiarise students with the specificity of a DipTrans examination, especially in terms of types of texts and their levels of difficulty.
- to provide students with an opportunity to practise translation of text types used by the CIoL in examination papers.
- to provide students with constructive feedback on their translation and their overall progress.
The course structure corresponds to that of the DipTrans examination. The complete
course consists of 3 five-week sessions, each preparing for one Unit of the Dip Trans.
- Unit 1 General translation
- Unit 2 Semi-specialised translation (Technology, Business or Literature)
- Unit 3 Semi-specialised translation (Science, Social Science or Law)
The first four weeks of each unit will be devoted to translation of specific texts, and feedback on individual translations. The fifth week will be allocated to revision, giving students an opportunity to ask individual questions and address various translation problems which may have arisen during the course of the unit.
- The course is available to candidates with a high level of linguistic competence equivalent at least to a good Honours degree in languages.
- The course is open to candidates enrolled on the Dip Trans examination held by the CIoL.
Who is it for?
The course is intended for candidates:
- enrolled or wishing to enrol on the CIoL Dip Trans examinations.
- wishing to revise and practise their translation skills and improve their confidence in exam taking.
- having reached a high level of linguistic competence, wish to embark on a career in professional translation.
How do I enrol?
Please enrol by making your payment via our secure site at: https://eshop.londonmet.ac.uk, select “Product Catalogue” and then “Short Courses”.
What are the benefits of the course?
- delivered in an on-line mode, so it can be completed from anywhere in the world, as long as you have access to the Internet and a PC
- taught by a team of experts (translation teachers, practitioners and markers)
- flexible deadlines of coursework submission
- tailored feedback for candidates
- possibility of live interactions with tutors
Contact: Lukasz Kaczmarek